I’m a big fan of technology that provides some element of utility and actually makes life easier. Apps like Uber, SnapScan and even Tinder are changing consumer behaviour, changing industries and changing the appscape. A new one on my radar is South African born Hey Jude, a PA in your pocket for want of a better descriptor. Hey Jude can literally sort out anything for you, providing your request is legal and moral. Before I’d downloaded and registered as a Hey Jude user my thought was, “okay cool, but isn’t briefing some new virtual PA going to be more time-consuming than me getting the job done in the first place?”.
The answer is no.
And that comes down to the UX (user experience) and functionality within the app. How so? Well, for example, I’m using Hey Jude to help source a couch for my new office. I’m just not getting to it (you see this is the problem with life and that ever-growing to-do list) and I’d like someone else to take the leg-work out of it for me. I went onto the app and created a new task: Couch Hunt. Now this is the part I love, and where I think using an app to help get things done is in fact not creating more work for yourself. Instead of typing a long brief, I simply left a detailed voice-note within the task thread; I’m a voice-note fiend. I then uploaded a few screen-grabs to aid as visual references, and Jude’s your uncle! I got a response immediately summarising my request and confirming that my couch hunt had begun. We’re in the process of finding the right one for me, so my task is still open.
But the scope is endless really. You can use the app to book flights, get quotes, help you find theatre tickets, make restaurant reservations, find that pair of boots you’ve been lusting after, book accommodation, shortlist accommodation, request a list of new restaurants you try, and so on.
How does it work?
For now the Hey Jude app is available to users in South Africa, Australia, New Zealand and the United Kingdom, and essentially you pay a small monthly subscription fee of R199. Not bad when you consider the app and service is at your disposal 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The first 3 tasks are free so you can get a feel for the app before you commit. The app has also integrated with Uber, AirBnB, Zomato and OpenTable to help facilitate transactions with those businesses. And you can pay for any service in-app using Hey Jude; the vet, your dry-cleaning bill, presents for your girlfriend 😉
If you’re curious, click here to download it to your Apple or Android device.
Win Your Wishlist
I’ve partnered with Hey Jude to create awareness of this super new app, and they’re giving away R5000 to put towards fulfilling any wish you desire. To give you a little inspiration, these are the wishes I’d put that R5000 towards right now:
- A ticket to Tokyo to see the blossoms in Spring 2018
- A pair of diamond earrings
- A weekend break to somewhere relaxing not too far from Johannesburg, perhaps Forum Homini in the Cradle of Mankind
- A new pair of sneakers; beige Nike’s or dusty pink New Balance
- A vintage bicycle for my new commute to work
- A new pair of leather boots from Country Road
- Repair smashed phone screen (again)
- A custom-made skinny display table for my entrance hall
- Room 13 wall-paper for my guest bathroom from Robin Sprong
- A monogrammed handbag or camera bag from Monpurse
… I could go on all day.
Entering is really easy, there are two ways:
- Comment on this blog post (don’t worry your e-mail address won’t be published, but I do need it to contact you, so please make sure it’s entered correctly) and tell me what your Hey Jude wish is, what you’ve been lusting after, what you want to put that R5000 towards. And/or…
- Post an image to Instagram or Facebook showing your wish in visuals, and make sure you include the following copy: I want to win R5000 with @heyjudeapp by sharing what I’d do with all that cash! #HeyJudeMagic. If you’re feeling creative you can tweak that line, just be sure to mention @heyjudeapp in your comment with the hashtag #HeyJudeMagic. Posts to Instagram and Facebook will be rewarded with 30 additional entries, score!
That’s it! Competition closes at midnight of May 30th, and the winner will be contact on May 31st 2017. Good luck!